CONSTITUTION OF THE ASSOCIATION OF REFEREES CONNACHT BRANCH, IRISH RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION
1. The name of the association shall be “The Association of Referees Connacht Branch, Irish Rugby Football Union”. The association shall act under the authority of the Connacht Branch, I.R.F.U. (the Branch).
2. Only practicing referees or former referees shall be entitled to membership of the association. The membership of the Association shall be confined to members elected by the Association. Membership shall become effective on receipt by the Association of the member’s annual subscription.
3. The officers of the association shall be the president, the secretary and the treasurer. The president shall hold office for one year and shall be eligible for re-election. All officers of the Association shall be honorary.
4. The Committee of the Association shall consist of the officers elected at the AGM of the Association and the immediate Past President of the Association. (President, Senior VP, Junior VP, Secretary, Treasurer) Four members of the Committee shall form a quorum for a committee meeting. The committee shall have the power to fill by co-option any vacancy that may occur from time to time between AGM’s.
5. The Committee shall appoint the Secretary as convenor of the Rugby sub-committee who will nominate 3 members to assist. The Committee will appoint the Treasurer as convenor of the Finance sub-committee who will nominate 2 members to assist. The Committee will appoint the Junior Vice-President as convenor of the Social sub-committee who will nominate 3 members to assist. Each sub-committee will meet between monthly meetings, where required, and will report to The Committee who will advise the monthly meeting of the Association.
6. The secretary of the Association shall be a member of the Branch and shall be the representative of the Association on the executive committee of the branch.
7. The Committee shall appoint a Chairperson of Selection who will nominate 5 others for approval by the Committee to act as selectors. The meetings of the selection committee shall be held to appoint referees, and where necessary and appropriate, touch judges and assessors, for all games played under the jurisdiction of the Branch. The Selection Committee shall meet as often as may be necessary for the aforesaid purposes and in any event at least once a month during the rugby season. Three members of the selection committee shall form a quorum.
8. A general meeting of the Association (the A.G.M.) shall be held annually in May each year at which meetings the reports of the officers shall be presented and the new officers and committee elected. Ten members shall form a quorum. The committee shall draw up a panel of all paid up referees, assessors and ex referees of the Association. Only those members of the Association whose names appear on the panel shall be entitled to attend the A.G.M. All members who attend the A.G.M. shall be eligible for election to the committee of the Association.
9. The secretary of the Association shall convene a special General Meeting of the Association on receiving requisition to do so signed by the Secretary of the Branch or by four members of the Association, provided the request for the meeting is accompanied by a statement of the reason why a special meeting is required. Ten members shall form a quorum.
10. A Referee appointed to a match must inform the secretary if he is unable to officiate and must give reasons why he is unable to do so.
11. Members of the Association invited to referee a match, either inside or outside their province, to which they have not been appointed by the Association, must notify such fact to the Secretary.
12. Should any difference of opinion arise as to the interpretation of any of the laws of the game, the committee shall, pending a ruling from the I.R.F.U., authorize referees to adopt such construction as it may decide.`
13. The committee shall have the power to expel a member of the association if satisfied, following inquiry, that such member has acted in a manner that was prejudicial to the interests of the Association. The member shall have the right to appeal any such decision to a General Meeting of the Association.
14. No rules of this association shall be altered, amended or added to, nor shall the association be dissolved, except by a majority of two-thirds present and voting at a meeting of the council of the branch. The nature of any such meeting shall be circulated to all members of the Association seven days prior to the meeting.
15. Applications for election to membership of the Association may be considered at all meetings of the Association. The applicant or membership shall be notified of the Associations decision within 14 days of the meeting